Pinot Noir 2018
"On Terlano’s medium-elevation sites, and especially on the plateau at Montigl, where the southern exposure and regular evening breezes combine to produce ideal conditions, the grapes grow and mature that produce a very elegant Pinot Noir with interesting berry flavors."
- Doc denomination: Alto Adige
- Variety: 100% Pinot Noir
- History of the variety:
- Year: 2018
- Bottles produced: 35,000
- Yield: 63 hl/ha
- Quality line: The classics
Manual harvest and selection of the grapes; destemming followed by slow must fermentation at a controlled temperature and gentle agitation of the must in stainless steel tanks; malolactic fermentation and aging in big wooden barrels for 7-10 months.
- Country: Alto Adige DOC
- Provenance: Alto Adige
- Altitude: 250 - 900 m a. s. l.
- Slope: 5 - 70 %
- Orientation: South - Southwest
- Color: lively vermilion to ruby red
- Smell: Fresh stimulating nose with an aromatic spectrum ranging from blackberry and bilberry to a hint of cherry brandy with notes of licorice and aromas of undergrowth.
- Taste: On the palate, this Pinot Noir offers a delightful balance between ripe fruit and a delicate tannin structure which confers elegance on this minerally red wine.
Perfect with roast kid with a celeriac and carrot purée, lamb cutlets with herb risotto or, slightly cooled, with trout meunière with boiled vegetables.
2018 could be defined as "extreme"- from a meteorological point of view- because it was characterized by a snowy winter and a rainy March, conditions that allowed an excellent water supply for the vines.Due to cooler temperatures in early spring, new shoots on the vines appeared in mid-April, later than the previous year. However, the continuation of the season was marked by an almost summery climate, alternating with heavy rainfall, which ensured rapid phenological development of the vines- first inflorescences started blossoming at the end of May.A hot June ended with a strong hailstorm, causing damage in some of our vineyards. Damage that our producers promptly repaired with great diligence and commitment.The months of July and August were characterized by a great heatwave without precipitation, interrupted by heavy rains in early September.As in 2017, the harvest began on 22 August.Overall, the vintage is satisfactory both in terms of quantity and quality of the wines produced.
Alto Adige is one of Italy's smallest wine-growing areas. Located as it is at the interface between the Alpine north and the Mediterranean south, it is also one of its most diverse. Countless generations have shaped Alto Adige as a land of wine, where vines grow on various types of soil and in a range of climate zones at between 200 and 1,000 meters above sea-level. It is the home of authentic wines with a character of their own, with a focus on white wines: About 60 percent of the sites are planted with white varieties and only 40 percent with red.
In addition to Pinot Grigio and Gewürztraminer, it is mainly Pinot Bianco, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc that have made Alto Adige one of Italy's leading white wine regions. In the case of the reds, the range of wines includes the autochthonous varieties Lagrein and Schiava as well as such international classics as Pinot Noir, Merlot and Cabernet. With all their variety, 98 percent of Alto Adige's wines have a DOC classification, with an impressive share of top-class wines.
Microclimate in Terlano
Continental climate (Cfa Köppen-Geiger)
Maximum temperatures: 38,2 °C
Average temperatures: 12,9 °C
Minimum temperatures: -10,7°C
Annual precipitation: ø 558 mm
Average global radiation: 150,1 W/m²
- North foehn: cool and dry down-slope wind
- Ora: valley wind system from the south, bringing in air from the Po Valley
- James Suckling 2019: 91 points
- Robert Parker's Wine Advocate 2019: 90 points
- Alcohol content: 13.5 % vol
- Residual sugar: 1.8 g/l
- Total acidity: 5.6 g/l
- PH: 3.6 PH
- Storage advice: Cool storage at constant temperatures, high level of humidity, good ventilation and as little light as possible
- Cellar temperature: 10 - 15 °C
- Minimum maturity: 1 years
- Serving temperature: 14 - 16 °C